" Faith "
How can I avoid haram and increase my iman?
How can i increase my iman when i keep doing haram things? I mean how can i stop myself from doing haram things once and for all?
In order to avoid haram, it is essential and fard (obligatory) for every Muslim to increase his iman. Iman has levels and it is not enough just to say “I believe” to achieve the high level of iman.
According to the scholars, there are two types of iman.
1. Imitative faith (iman-i taqlidi) is the faith which is gained without any proofs, just through the people around.
2. Tahqiqi iman which is the “certain, verified faith” means believing in Allah (swt) as strong as seeing Him.
Ulama (scholars) are in consensus that even though it is valid to have an imitative faith, it is fard for very Muslim to raise their faith to the ‘certain, verified belief’ from imitative level. (Aliyy-ul Qari, Commentary of Fiqh-i Akbar)
How can I achieve tahqiqi iman?
This kind of belief is obtained as a result of acquiring certain knowledge of all the questions related to belief through close investigation and Islamic studies. Since “verified belief” has the answers of all questions of doubt and disbelief, it is so strong, firm and unshakable.
In order to achieve tahqiqi iman we should;
1. Realize and comprehend how much we need tahqiqi iman for the pleasure of both this world and the hereafter.
2. Ponder on death to realize that the only assurance to pass away with iman is having a “tahqiqi iman” in this world. Because scholars state that devil may give doubts to the mind of the person who is about to die. However, if he has “tahqiqi iman”, it is not possible for devil to harm and remove his iman. Because, tahqiqi iman does not exist just in the mind of a believer, on the contrary it expands, surrounds the heart, the soul and nearly all the senses and feelings that nothing can damage it.
3. Implement what iman requires, in other words perform the obligatory actions and abstain the major sins.
4. Recite the holy book Quran and try to comprehend its divine message; because Quran is full of proves and lessons that strengthen iman. All iman facts, the purpose of the creation, why Allah (swt) charged the prophets, what the duties of the angels are, what the truth of the hereafter is and so on are explained in a persuasive manner in the Quran.
5. Read and benefit the Quranic commentaries to comprehend the Quranic verses regarding belief.
6. Reflect upon the creatures, in other words the unique works of art of Allah (swt) surrounding us in order to ponder on the iman lessons that we get through the holy Quran and the interpretations.
We should reflect upon the attributes and the names of Allah (swt) that are manifested on the creatures and make a habit of reflecting. (tafakkur)
7. In order to achieve all these aforementioned aims, we need to be sincere, because sincerity is the most generous means that will carry you toward your goal.
We should always bear in mind that we are in the presence of Allah (swt) every time
A person cannot commit haram actions if he bears in mind that he is always in the presence of Allah (swt). Remembering the penalty of sins both in this world and in the hereafter gets us to abstain from haram.
"You should remember the reality that brings an end to all worldly joys and pleasures, namely, death.” (Tabarani)
As stated in the hadith above, considering that this world is just a finite guesthouse and death will take us to our real homeland will get us to avoid haram.
Avoiding eating haram hinders us from sins
It is obligatory for every Muslim to be careful for eating and drinking haram. As long as he pays attention, his body will be cleansed of the haram and the soul will taste the pleasure in worshipping.
Ibn ‘Abbas reported, “Once, when I recited the verses of the Qur’an, ‘O you people! Eat of what is on earth, lawful and good’ (2.168) in the presence of the Prophet (pbuh). Sa’d b. Abi Waqqas got up and said, ‘O Messenger of Allah! Ask Allah to make me one whose supplication is heard.’ At this the Prophet (pbuh), said, ‘O Sa’d, consume lawful things and your supplications will be heard, and by Him in Whose hands is the soul of Muhammad, when a man puts into his stomach a morsel of what is forbidden his prayers are not accepted for forty days, and a servant of Allah whose body is nourished by usury or by what is forbidden becomes more deserving of the Hell fire.” (Al-Hafiz b. Marduwiyah; Source: Fiqh-us-Sunnah)
Making tawba (repentance) a lot is a means of being ashamed of our sins and avoiding committing again
“And those who, when they do an evil thing or wrong themselves, remember Allah and implore forgiveness for their sins - Who forgiveth sins save Allah only ? - and will not knowingly repeat (the wrong) they did.
The reward of such will be forgiveness from their Lord, and Gardens underneath which rivers flow, wherein they will abide for ever - a bountiful reward for workers!” (Surah al Al-i Imran, 135, 136)
Our beloved Prophet (pbuh) states that:
“Shall I inform you of your disease and your cure? Your disease is your sins and your cure is repentance.” (Targib and Tarhib)
The Prophet (pbuh) stated:
“The devil said to his Lord, ‘By Your Glory and Majesty! As long as the children of Adam exist on earth, I shall continuously misguide them.’ Allah replied, ‘By My Glory and Majesty! As long as they seek My forgiveness, I will continue to forgive them.’” (Musnad) Kaynak: http://askaquestionto.us - How can I avoid haram and increase my iman?